Re-cap of 2013 (our 100th Anniversary Year)
DZIĘKUJEMY! NASZE STULECIE …
Your tireless work, your creativity, your perseverance, and your dedication have not gone unnoticed within the parish and even nationally! A big thank you for everything you did to make our 100th anniversary such a special year of prayer, celebration, service, and renewal, and a time to prepare for our second century of faith and service! God bless! Bóg zapłać!
Here are some highlights of our recent 100th anniversary initiatives …
- Special prayers and devotions; the year began with the blessing of chalk and homes
- Two books issued to mark the Centenary (Przez Pokolenia: Prayers and Customs of St. Mary`s Polish Church and Parish Centenary Cookbook); special video also produced (it can be accessed on our website: www.stmaryspolishparish.ca)
- Centenary Historical Exhibit – CBC Radio`s Mainstreet program broadcast live from the opening reception. This involved the efforts of many parishioners.
- Joint ``STO LAT`` Concert – Choir of St. Mary`s Polish Church (the only Polish-language choir in Cape Breton) and Men of the Deeps, paying tribute to our Centenary
- Conference of the Canadian Polish Research Institute (with visitors from various parts of the country) and Memories and Stories Workshop with our elders
- Parish dinner theatre presentation of The Odyssey of the Polish Treasures – incorporating aspects of the history of our church; a number of parishioners acted for the first time!
- Free community barbeque to acknowledge the broader community
- Parish family reunions, including a community reception
- Centenary Banquet with the participation of many dignitaries
- Centenary Mass and Polish Festival -- The CBRM Council declared September 8th as ``St. Mary`s Polish Parish Day`` throughout the region.
- Special St. Michael`s Day lunch marking the receipt of congratulations to the parish from Pope Francis and recognizing the St. Michael`s Polish Benefit Society
- Centenary prayers for the deceased of our parish at several local cemeteries and ceremony honouring our veterans over the past century
- Enhanced St. Nicholas Day celebration with a public-education component
- To be unveiled shortly: a Cape Breton Polish tartan; the design will be owned by our parish and used to help with fund-raising
- Numerous Centenary Service projects (Sto Darów) throughout the year in the broader community (eg. Polish Food Garden, collaborating with other groups on developing a public parkette with a kapliczka – roadside shrine – as its centrepiece, assisting Loaves and Fishes, Operation Christmas Child, helping with local housing initiatives, etc.)
- “Virtual tour” for our website (in collaboration with CBU)
Special thanks as well to our financial and in-kind sponsors!